I've just gotten my K3 built and integrated into the shack about a week
ago.  Operated WPX CW this weekend with GREAT success.  Was very happy.

Tonight in setting up FSK, I was getting a lot of "AGN?" after my cq's.
Listening to my signal on a 2nd receiver, I realized that my signal had a
hum on it - basically sounded terrible. Tested in CW mode as well, and the
hum was also there (haven't dug out the mic yet for the dreaded SSB mode to
know if the hum was there as well, but I would suspect it would have been).
Tried changing a bunch of menu settings to no avail.  Then I disconnected
everything from the back of the K3 except for the antenna, power and FSK
input.  Beautiful clean signal.  The hum reappeared when I connected the amp
keying line.

  I've been using the Ameritron ARB-704 Amp Keying buffer, and even though
the K3 can handle the relay voltage on my AL-80 (the key voltage is not in
the AL-80 manual, but I believe it's 125v), I've kept in in line.  However
this seems to be the item causing the hum.  When I take it out of the line,
and connect the rig directly to the amp, no hum.

My shack is NOT well RF grounded, and things are not bonded together at this
point (that's a needed project - but the ARB-704 doesn't have a ground post
to connect to - I'd have to go directly under one of the case screws to
ground it).

Anybody else experience this?  Am I correct in my deduction that the K3 key
out relay will handle the relay voltage on the AL-80?  If so, I'll just
ditch the ARB-704 for now.

Thanks.

73 de Al, KE1FO

-----