Hi, Ed,

I don’t know if I have any helpful input, but I have some input nonetheless.

First of all, what type of batteries are you using?  Have you measured the
voltage of your battery pack under load?  That would be my first
troubleshooting step.

Secondly, I have noticed on my KX1 that 20M always has lower power output
than the other bands.  With 4W measured on 40M, I get 2.9W on 20M into a
good match.

As an aside, I found the best solution to portable operation with the KX-1
is to use rechargeable 3.7 VDC Li Ion AA cells.  You have to rewire the
battery holders so that they are in parallel rather than in series.  That
gives you three cells in each holder at about 11.1 VDC.   The power output
when operating portable then approaches the same levels as when operating
from a power supply.

One source of the cells is at
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1336 .
There are many other places to get them as well.  You also need a charger
that will accommodate the Li Ion.   I did find that these cells are minutely
smaller than standard AA cells.  You can get them to fit into the holder by
putting a small blob of solder on the contacts in the battery holders (not
on the batteries!).

Some KX-1 users have built charging circuitry into the KX-1, but I elected
not to do so as it really complicates things.  But there is information on
doing this on the web.

At any rate, please share with the group what you find out about your
problem.  Good luck and 73.
John, WA6L