Hello Richard:

   According to my records, there have been only 4 utility file changes
since your version FW242.

     FW     Utility

    2.42     1.1.6.3
    2.72     1.1.10.17
    2.80     1.2.1.6
    3.11     1.2.3.18

   Version 1.1.6.3  would be compatible with your configuration.

   A suggestion for ELECRAFT  might be,  put these 4 files in a separate
folder called /util/ and could be accessed by:
ftp://ftp.elecraft.com/K3/firmware/util/       Since the names only have
meaning relative to FW release, they could have names like util242,
util272, util280 and util311.   The correct Utility file could then be
available to everyone,  for whatever reason.

  IMHO,  go ahead and upgrade.   The risk is low.  If the current
Utility program recognizes the K3 and the COMM test works, you should
have no problem.  After upgrading, I also recommend the K3_EZ utility to
give you a more visible view of your new configuration.  See ELECRAFT
software page for lots more goodies. You have entered the computer age
with your Software Defined Radio.            Enjoy!

73's
Tony  K2ZLS