Bill and All,

Like  Bill, I've been doing this ham radio stuff for a long time--54 years.
It still "floats my boat!"

I committed very late to join a couple of ham friends on a camping outing up
on Mt. Lemmon, which is 9K feet and 30 degrees cooler than the 100's here on
the desert floor.  The best part is I can go from my house to the top in
about an hour.  That fact alone makes Tucson a better place to live than
Phoenix!!!

I took my K2, and some battery packs, and headed up the mountain on Friday.
I also used an end fed HW for simplicity.  The others with me are hams, but
alas, they aren't all that interested in CW or QRP.  So, I was the only
"op".

I've been on many intense Field Day operations, but I'm just as happy to do
it very casually.  I operate a couple of hours, then go visit with everyone
for even longer, or just go take a long walk!  I also like to sleep, so you
won't hear me in the middle of the night.

I only made about 160 contacts, but since I'm not really a threat to win
anything, I usually just try and see how many different sections I can work.
In the process, I pass up a lot of contacts I could easily make to up the
total.  I probably didn't operate more than 5 or 6 hours total, and much of
that was searching for new sections.  I ended up with 67 sections, and I
missed a few that I shouldn't have.  But what the heck!  It's fun to have a
"mini" objective like that if you aren't trying to rack up a big score.

K2 worked great, and the WX at 8400 feet was very nice too.  Ate well, and
even had a little "nectar of the Gods" with my steak!  Now, how can you beat
that?

Dave W7AQK