> I am about to order filters for the K3 and need some final
> advice.

Hi Mike.

I have a pair of 400Hz and a pair of 250Hz 8 poles in my K3.  I'm
pretty active, 99% CW, and rarely use the 400Hz (maybe once a day) and
very rarely the 250Hz (once a week).  The DSP works extremely well.
So of these, I'd recommend the 400Hz, and save up for the 250's later
if you decide you need even narrower bandwidth than the 400+DSP can
achieve.

The 8 poles probably have a better shape factor than the 5 poles,
judging by my experience comparing the 5 pole stock Kenwood filters
with the 8 pole IRC replacements in my old TS850.  With the DSP, I'm
not sure you'd notice the difference but as you see I went for the
better filters and don't regret it.

On extremely rare occasions (e.g. fishing out CW callers in SSB QRM
from Indonesian pirates) I have wound the filters right down to the
minimum 50Hz and even at that ridiculously narrow setting, the K3 is a
joy to copy with no appreciable ringing - miles better than the TS850
and indeed any other rig I've tried.

I also use diversity with a 30m fullwave loop.  Works great!

I'm thinking of getting the AM and/or FM filters next so I can open up
the bandwidth to listen to a whole chunk of band at once using an AF
spectrum program: it sometimes helps to listen to all the callers in a
pileup and to choose a clear slot to call.

73,
Gary  ZL2iFB