snip .......>
> When doing field repair we seldom have the luxury of anti-static mats,
> wrist
> straps, etc., but a little care in what we set the board on (not on cloth,
> etc.) and touching a ground before picking them up keeps the parts safe.
>
> Ron AC7AC

We did the touch method for some time before we got the portable mats, BUT,
you can watch somebody and catch them repeatedly not doing the touch every
time they make contact with the machine.  It CAN be learned but it takes
some diligence and commitment.

Portable mat kits come folded up in a pouch, have the wrist strap and cables
included and fit easily inside your tool kit.  This was over 10 years ago at
least, maybe 15.  I still have mine (and a spares and extra straps) and that
is what I use today.  Retired 8+ years ago.

We used static mats and wrist straps for service calls and anytime we
connected or disconnected a cable or opened the case the strap was required.
If we removed anything, the mat was to be used.

We were also required to carry a log sheet available to show to anybody
(leaders had to check them randomly) showing we measured and recorded the
resistance the 1 meg resister in the wrist strap monthly!  A real pain for
the leaders who also had to carry the pack and the check was the most use
the pouch received.

73, de Jim KG0KP