> I'd like to be clear when I wrote earlier that a small
> transmitting loop is
> very inefficient.

And I'd like to emphasise that this thread is about physically small
"magnetic loops", not fullsize quad or delta type loops which are
efficient radiators with relatively high radiation resistance, in my
experience.  I have used fullwave wire loops on 80, 40 and 30m for
both TX and RX with great success.

By the way, I don't know if it's the same with magnetic loops but the
fullwave loops radiate mostly "broadside" to the plane of the loop.
If the loop is vertically oriented (e.g hanging between two trees),
the polarization of the signal is determined by whether the loop is
fed at a horizontal or vertical section of wire.  If the entire loop
is laid 'flat on its back', most of the radiation heats the ground,
some heats the clouds but I'm uncertain what polarization the signal
would be - probably horizontal I guess since all the wire is parallel
to the ground but I may be wrong.

73
Gary  ZL2iFB