Hi, Doug,

That is a tough one.  You might want to start (if you haven't already) with
the KX-1 FAQ at http://www.elecraft.com/KX1/kx1faq.htm   This also has a
section on KX-1 and K1 comparison.

I built a K1 and ended up selling it after getting my KX-1.  I do have to
say that I miss the K1, but for me the KX-1 was a better fit.  As others
have said, you need to determine what you are going to do with the radio and
go from there.

The big advantage to the KX-1 is its portability.  I have mine in a small
case with ear buds, two small spools of wire (my antenna) and the BNC to
binding post adapter.  I can throw this into any suitcase or backpack and
have a radio with me wherever I go.

Once you get where you are going, you an be up and running in minutes.  The
built-in paddles mean that all you need is a place to sit.  No table
required.  I have modified the battery setup on my KX-1 to get 12VDC and 3.5
watts, so the difference in power between it and K1 is negligible.

What do I miss on the K1?   The primary thing is 15 meters.  I wish I could
get that on the KX-1, but I think I will build a MFJ Cub to cover that band.

At any rate, you will have fun building and operating the rig no matter
which way you go.  Good luck and enjoy your recovery!

73,

John, WA6L