> But with the upcoming firmware upgrades, the flexibility will be
> enhanced, so I can make the 250 Hz filter kick in at, say 240 Hz,
> if I want to. At least, that's my  understanding of  what's coming
> up.

The beta firmware does not allow setting width in 10 Hz steps.  Only
the center frequency (FC) is adjustable in 10 Hz steps.

> This is a significant enhancement, especially at narrow CW bandwidths
> -- and in my opinion-- much more desirable than a new variable bandwidth
> roofing filter

You will not see a big difference with a "DSP tracking" filter
on CW if you already have fixed 400, 250 and 200 Hz filters.

Where the capability becomes noticeable is on SSB due to the
wide steps between 2.8 KHz and 1.5 KHz and in digital modes
with the step between 2.8 KHz and 400 Hz.  It is not possible (there
are not enough filter 'slots') to install roofing filters even every
500 Hz even though the filters are available - e.g. 2.8 KHz, 2.1 KHz,
1.8 KHz, 1.5 KHz, 1000 Hz, 500 Hz, and 250 Hz - particularly if you
want to operate FM and AM or ESSB where it is currently necessary
to tie up slots with BOTH the FM (13 KHz) and AM (6 KHz) filters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV