From: Don Rasmussen <wb8...@yahoo.com>
Subject: K3 DSP, Ergonomics
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Date: Monday, August 24, 2009, 7:42 PM

http://www.zerobeat.net/mediawiki/index.php/SpotLight_on_K3
I have a new photo of K3 #272 on the K3 wiki including the finger dimple I got
from www.FingerDimple.com. They are also sold by Elecraft for the K2 - same
product.
Other things I missed from stock K3 were analog S-meter and band stacking
registers as implemented on (example Orion, IC746 IC756). I achieved these
through the "Cool" program I wrote, also available on the K3 wiki.
However the biggest positive I saw as a K3 improvement happened when I paid
Elecraft for a DSP board upgrade last month.
The stock DSP board for both K3 #272 and K3 #2308 would have one AF level when
the AGC was OFF, and a muted level
 when AGC was set to AGC-F or AGC-S. That is to say that the stock version
sounded like the receiver had the attenuator turned on anytime I was using the
AGC-S or AGC-F.
I could work around this somewhat by keeping the AGC off, or by setting the
SLOPE and THRESHOLD at their lesser most values in the CONFIG. This produced a
much better result on CW than (example) IC756Pro.
But after I installed the new DSP board, AGC-F and AGC-S provide a satisfactory
AF level, and when AGC is turned OFF, that is when the receiver sounds like I
turned on the receiver RF attenuator. That is to say, the pattern is reversed.
That is 100% more desirable here. Elecraft has suggested that the only
difference in the upgrade DSP boards would be limited to AF frequency response,
that is, more low end frequency available.
But I am hearing these AGC differences.
I'd
 like anyone interested to perform this test, and email your results to me
directly.
- K3 on 7.0 MHZ or another band that you have antenna for using widest crystal
filter setting  - AGC set AGC-S- Turn AF gain up very high - no signal in
passband- Now turn off AGC
Would like to know 1 - Your K3 serial number2. - If the AF increased or
decreased.
send to wb8yqj at yahoo dot com
PLEASE do not clutter this email list with responses!!!!!!
It does not seem to be firmware dependent in any way.
TIA... Don...