Nigel,

Yes, a similar procedure can be used with the K2.
The K2 ALC indication does indicate actual ALC, so the best setting for
the K2 is to increase the audio until you see a flicker on the ALC meter
and then back off slightly until it disappears.

Because there is no MCU compensation for band to band TX gain variations
in the K2, you will likely find the proper setting will change from band
to band.  Unlike the K3, the K2 has no internal "fancy code" for data
modes other than the addition of the RTTY filter set because PSK31 was
not popular when the K2 was first designed.

BTW - Do use the RTTY filter set for data modes on the K2 rather than
SSB mode mainly because it gives you an independent compression setting
(which should be 1:1).  I set RTTY FL1 the same as SSB FL1 (the OP1
filter must be used for transmit), and then I set FL2= 1.00, FL3=0.70
and FL4=0.40 and center FL2 through FL4 at 1000 Hz.  I tune the desired
signal near 1000 Hz on the waterfall andin that way I am prepared to
narrow the filter if QRM creeps in.  The RTTY center frequencies must
also be changed to 1000 Hz if the DSP filters are to be used in
conjunction with the IF filters.

73,
Don W3FPR