Johnny Siu wrote:

> Secondly, I mostly operate in SSB and always openly admit that I seldom
> operate CW.  Having said that, I understand the joy of operating a SSB
> station just 3kHz away from a local 1kw big gun within line of sight.
> Again, I do not see a day and night difference among ic7800, ic7700,
> ic7600 and K3.

This is the key to your perception of the K3 and the other rigs.  If you're
operating 3 kHz from any strong SSB station, the observed dynamic range
(probably ~35 dB) is primarily limited by the cleanliness of his transmitted
signal (TX IMD, phase noise, etc) no matter how good your receiver may be.
In fact Sherwood's ranking (2 kHz IMD performance) only makes sense for CW,
since it simulates performance of a CW receiver with strong stations spaced
every 2 kHz.  If you don't operate CW, then indeed there's probably little
difference in any receivers since none of them can clean up transmitted SSB
QRM.

If you operate CW in crowded contests or large pileups, there's a vast
performance difference (20-30 dB in dynamic range) in the rigs you have.

73,  Bill