> As to specific reasons for EQ: Many hams have strong magnetic fields
> (mostly
> from big power supplies) in close proximity to their operating desk,
> and the
> K3 uses unshielded audio transformers on audio I/O. TXEQ that rolls
> off the
> low end can prevent the 50/60Hz field from modulating the
> transmitter when a
> computer sound card is used as a data modulator. RXEQ can be set to
> provide
> additional filtering ahead of the sound card to reduce the effects
> of QRM and
> QRN.

That has little if anything to do with it.

> BTW -- I long ago also advised Elecraft to lose the transformers and
> 600 ohm
> resistors and to eliminate their pin 1 problems.

Since we're talking about problems with this list in recent threads,
the biggest problem is that everyone here is an "advisor", has a
better idea, and believes that they are acutely aware of every issue,
every engineering challenge every improvement that could conceivably
be made, wants a new front panel, new knobs,  a 1500W pa built into
the new panadapter, rules on what the radio is REALLY supposed to be
and (on and on and on) ...  And all from everyone's individual siloed
perspective -- the radio is this, the radio is that, the radio was
designed just for me ... not for you so take your stupid ideas
home ... etc.,

After a while, guys, the constant drone of the "experts"  does nothing
but raise the noise level, far beyond what even the improved NR in the
K3 or the best NR on the planet (aside from the delete key or
unsubscribing from the list)  can deal with.  Maybe the whole list
should just sit back and take a very deep breath, listen more, and
"advise"  LESS!  And if you do "advise", don't come here to grumble
about how your advice STILL hasn't made it into the radio and how
Aptos just ignored your remarkable redesign.

About the only thing worth reading regarding the K3 are the firmware
announcements and the occasional post from Elecraft.  The rest, for
the most part,  is worse than the effects of a touch controlled lamp
sitting right next to the antenna. It's much "quieter" and far more
pleasant to just occasionally check the website to find out what's
new ...

Grant/NQ5T