Last April there was a thread started by Lyle in reply to a post by Dave,
AB7E, about programming the audio mixer in the K3 via external commands.
Based on what Marcus, HB9BRJ, discovered about the command structure I have
mapped the complete set of mixer commands as follows:

Main=main receiver audio; Sub=sub-receiver audio; L=left earphone; R=right
earphone

!bec3;   Main LR               default main receiver setting
!bed1;   Main L, Sub R      default sub-receiver setting
!bed3;   Main LR, Sub R    most useful for split and SO2V operation
!becb;   Main LR, Sub L    alternate preference of previous command
!bed8;   Sub LR
!bed9;   Sub LR, Main L
!beda;   Sub LR, Main R
!bedb;   Main LR, Sub LR

I have programmed eight of the command tester macros in the Elecraft K3
Utility with these commands so I can control the mixer on the fly.  The
Main/Sub balance can be controlled with the outer (Sub) volume control once
the proper CONFIG MENU setting is chosen (SUB AF set to BALANCE).  To quote
Lyle "Be sure SPKRS+PH is OFF, or SPKRS=2, with these commands."

This setup is very convenient except that the commands are not sticky.  If
you turn the sub-receiver off and back on or power down and back up then you
have to reenter the command.  While most of the commands are not very useful
to me the one thing I would like to have under control is the default value
for the audio mixer when the sub-receiver is turned on.  Also if an external
program (such as N1MM) sends a macro to set the audio mixer then it would be
preferable to have the setting not change unless another macro was sent to
cancel the previous choice.  I have heard that this is not the case at the
present but I haven't tested it myself.

I know that all of this can be done with an external audio mixing board.  In
my opinion that solution is a very inefficient use of resources, which are
already available in the K3.

Lyle would you please put the default audio mixer configuration choice on
the DSP firmware development list if it isn't already?

73
Gary, N7IR