Bill,

How about just turning the power control on the K2 down to 40 watts and
measure the key-down current draw.  I have not checked, but I believe it
should be in the vicinity of 10 amps.
In any case, whatever the current draw, think about the duty cycle - a
50% duty cycle (a continuous string of dots) is very high for ham radio
(you do spend some time listening), so even if the peak current draw is
close to 20 amps, your average current draw will be less than 10 amps.
Maybe I missed something, but I think you already have a transceiver
that qualifies to your requirements.

73,
Don W3FPR