Hi y'all!

I have noted that most of the posts in the elecraft reflector are about the
K3. I hope this isn't out of line.

I bought a K1 awhile back because it was billed as a great first-time
builder's kit. As one of those first-time builders,  I suppose I'd agree,
but I've run into a few rather basic questions and I'm undoubtedly driving
Gary up the wall with them. I'm a rank beginner on all things electronic I'm
afraid. He's set me the task of building an RF probe (which I'm getting to)
and told me to get a signal generator as well.

I need to do the signal tracing the manual suggests (Appendix E, p5)  and
wanted to build the signal generator shown in schematic on that page. I have
the KFL1-4 board with 17, 20, 30 and 40 meters and am only hearing signals
on the 40 meter band. I thought I'd build the signal generator with a switch
to change between crystals.

I'm looking for some advice:

I have one power supply (a Samlex SEC-1235M) and I guess I'll need another
power source for the signal generator. As I looked at the Samlex site
(http://www.universal-radio.com/CATALOG/hamps.html), I saw both linear and
switching power supplies. Does it matter which kind I get? Any other
suggestions for inexpensive options?

I suppose I'll stop with one question for now.

Thanks hams!

Tom (WB7RTE)