Phil:
The easiest way to check things out is by substitution.  First try a
different computer, preferably one with a built-in serial port.  Do you
have a spare one that wasn't affected by the event?  If not,do you have
a friend with a laptop (and a USB-serial adapter) who wouldn't mind
having Logic 8 installed temporarily as a test?  Do you have another
radio (not necessarily a K-3) that you can check with  your current
computer?  It seems to me it might be possible to substitute all 3
components (radio, computer, USB-serial adapter) one at a time and come
up with the answer.  If Logic 8 worked with no problems before, I doubt
the software is the issue, but you could also try different logging
software as well.
Hope this helps.

John AA0VE