From: Paul Christensen <w...@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K3] K3 Rev C DSP with Low Freq Enhancement
To: m...@paxsen.com, Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Date: Friday, October 16, 2009, 12:18 PM

> Juan, I think your 3rd harmonic measurement is the key. If you research
> audio fatigue you may find that odd harmonics are particularly troublesome
> and that they can cause audio fatigue even when the level is below what
> you
> might consider audible.

Mike,

There may be several variables occurring here.  When I get back from a
conference, I plan on making my own FFT measurements at the H/P jack
regarding this effect.  It's possible that the intensity of distortion
artifacts as measured by Jack Smith, and presumably what you're hearing, may
be different among K3 samples.  Myself, I don't hear anything that brings
about fatigue under any operating conditions.

Also, Rx audio response capabilities with the latest K3 firmware has evolved
and additional low-end content is present that was not there in previous
releases.  And so, one has to consider whether it was the change in
firmware -- or the beta LPF board that is now responsible for the changes
you're now hearing.  I have to believe that with some ops, the perception of
fatigue is related to a previous lack of low-end to presence-band balance.
More than anything, what brings fatigue to me is extended listening through
a narrow audio passband.

Paul, W9AC