This is not strictly true. If you can lose the 10W in an attenuator you can
use the K3 just like any other radio to drive the transverter. But I agree
the best thing to use is a KXV3A. This gives you the connections you need.
One thing you will not have is the control provided by the Elecraft auxbus.
I know it is expensive andnot really a technical challenge but you might be
better off buying the built in 144MHz transverter. If you want a technical
challenge, I am sure you can find another one.

Mike