Everyone's ears are different, but I used a DSP passband of 1.1 KHz for
most of the 2,200 QSOs I made in the 2009 CQ WPX SSB contest (roofing
filter was 8-pole 1.5 KHz).  I don't remember how far I had to shift the
center frequency, but I think it was down to about 0.85 or 0.90 KHz.  It
definitely helped, but if the splatter is inside your passband (and
unfortunately much of it is) nothing will make a significant difference
other than maybe taking the time to tell the guy above or below you that
he has a dirty signal (which I did twice) and hope that he backs off the
gain or compression (which happened once).

73,
Dave   AB7E