For the -S, read up on it on p32 (lower right) of the Owner's Manual,
D4 Rev.  Looks like you have SYNC DATA mode enabled.

The -S is also cited in the top entry of the table on p60.  There, it
indicates you should not normally use SYNC DT for normal data or SSB
communications.  There is a reference there and on p32 for how to
disable/enable.

73,
matt W6NIA