Please also note that SW is a component in MTBF, for embedded systems
(SDRs) like the K3.  This is also true in consumer electronics (where
I'm stuck for the moment).  We figure in SW failures as a statistical
value, but don't really count them as a full failure unless a unit is
"bricked" and becomes unusable.  When you make millions of anything,
this does happen and needs to be counted.  The case is quite different
for a unique and lower-volume product like the K3.

For consumer products that need an unanticipated power cycle or reset
to start working again, we assign a fractional failure.  Usually 0.2
or 0.3 depending on the Annoyance Quotient to the end-user.

Many consumer products have SW MTBF in the hundreds of hours because
release intervals prevent thorough debugging and bug fixing.  That's
one factor, but so is software complexity.  From anecdotal evidence
(I'm not an Elecraft insider, so it's mostly from this list), it looks
like the collective MTBF of the K3 due only to software has a much
better record than any consumer appliance has.  At least that I've
heard about.

It goes without saying that the hardware platform is bulletproof.  But
when something fails, it would probably occur first in switches and
controls, followed by connectors, and last place would likely be the
electronics itself.

Be glad Wayne, Lyle, Eric, the Aptos crew, and a large assemblage of
Field Testers all try to break the K3 firmware in advance of most
releases.

Now - I wonder if Wayne or Eric have any data collected on MTBF....  I
bet that's one of those trade secret thingies....  :)

73,
matt W6NIA