The on-frequency energy is the transmitter.  Might be key clicks,
waveform shape, etc.  Note that K3's don't cause this type of problem
on TX.

Transmitters that are improperly aligned or operated are much more
noticeable on the K3 than any other rig I've owned.  This is due to
the sensitivity, maybe, but there is always an "expectation factor".
Your use of the ATT is good, but the radio can hear (major deity of
your choice) thinking anyway.

I recommend frequent experiments with RF GAIN.  This really can get
results.  You need surprisingly little RF gain to copy most anything
on the K3.  A lot of ops run it wide open, but it is the main gain
control at this station on RX.  You may know all this already....

I have a neighbord (1/4 mile away) that has the "clockwise syndrome"
handicap.  Puts out wide band SSB crud.  K3 #24 hears this splatter
better than any receiver I've owned (same neighbor for 20 years, same
problem, but with better ears).  No receiver can make up for crappy TX
output.

If the energy is on frequency, the K3 will probably hear it whether
you want it or not.  Chirps, clicks, splatter, anything.  The positive
side is that this is also true for what you want to hear.

73,
matt W6NIA
K3 #24
K3 #2810