Hi Ross,

The statement from the "icom employee" is correct NOT because of the insertion
loss.  IC7700 used a newer version DSP IC.  If you have the chance to do an A/B
comparison between IC7800 and IC7700 using same antenna, you will notice that
the IC7700's receiver is marginally quieter than IC7800.  However, in
day-to-day operation, it is difficult to notice that.

The successfulness of DSP will depend on :

1. the speed / specification of the DSP IC;
2. the skill of writing the DSP firmware

In other words, even both rigs use the same DSP ICs, the difference could be
day and night if the DSP firmware has been poorly written.  No doubt, through
the frequent updates of the K3 firmware, I experience the improvements of NR in
K3 which are good to our Elecrafters.

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

K3, K2s

________________________________
寄件人﹕ Ross Primrose <n...@aiko.com>
副本(CC) elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期﹕ 2009/11月/3 (二) 2:11:10 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] sub receiver question... 3db loss w/ 2 rcvrs

Bill NY9H wrote:
> I heard an ICOM employee explain that the 7700 was better than the
> 7800 because the 7700 did not have the 3db loss ... because it only
> had one receiver in the 7700 !!!!!....  wow ..that must make it a
> "contest set" .
>
> i certainly don't mind the split loss in the 7800 or the k3......
> lease help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

The 3dB loss is meaningless. All modern receivers have way more
sensitivity than they need....

73, Ross N4RP

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!