Last night, K6MM posted to the NCCC Email list:

>Headset Report:  The new Yamaha CM500 headset performed flawlessly.
>Great reports, comfortable all weekend, good soundproofing.  A real
>bargain at $40 -- thanks again for the group purchase, Josh (W6XU).

After about 22 hours of use in SS-SSB, I'd like to reinforce John's
comments on these headsets. I find the headset quite comfortable,
the cans sound very good, and the mic produces GREAT audio. I bought
three, and they are replacing the EV RE16 that I've used exclusively
for contesting for the last five years!  If you worked W6BX, K9YC,
K6MM, AK6M, or W6XU, you were listening to the CM500.

The mic in this headset is not a FLAT mic, but it's quite smooth and
clean sounding, and the EQ is close to perfect for ham radio and
contesting. It sounds MUCH MUCH MUCH better than most Heils I've
heard (and at 1/3 the price). Because it's EQed for communications
use and my existing voice messages were recorded with an RE16 (a very
flat professional recording/broadcast mic), I had to re-record all of
my SS messages.

The only negative of this mic (and it's a minor one, because it's
easy to work around it) is that it is a bit sensitive to breath pop
and handling noise, so you need to roll off the low end AND keep it
away from your mouth. I found myself alternating between two
positions -- one below my mouth a few inches, and the other a few
inches above and to the side, but out of the way of my nose (so that
breathing didn't get into the mic). Both positions are quite
comfortable, and both sound very good. I used the higher position
for recording the messages.

One VERY important caution -- the output from this mic is VERY high,
and can easily overload the electronics that it is feeding if you
don't take care with gain settings. To record, I ran straight into
the sound card of my IBM T22 (eight year old Thinkpad) with the mic
preamp OFF, the gain at minimum, and the mic about four inches away.
Any closer caused the sound card to clip!  I did NO eq while
recording.

When operating, I plugged the mic and headset into the rear panel
connectors, turned on the bias (tap 2 on the keypad while in the mic
select menu) and set mic gain to Low (tap 1 on the keypad in the mic
select menu). I used max cut of the two lowest bands on the K3 to
minimize the breath and handling noise. With other rigs, you may need
to do that with a series cap.

73,

Jim K9YC