ARRL160 is the true test of just how close folks can get in the US contests
;o)

Sounds like you had similar experiences, I had been running about an hour
when an EU slide within 300 Hz of me and tried to start something, I slide
down caught the multiplier, slide back up and kept running... well until
3V3S started CQ right on top of me (less than 100Hz), maybe they were
running a K3 too, slide up and worked them, but decided the fight wouldn't
work out in my favor so went S&P, picked up 8 new multipliers inside of 20
minutes. Losing a run freq isn't always bad ;o)

I did run tighter than normal, 400Hz and lower. 20 was packed to around
14.145 Sunday morning, so very narrow was worth it.

73,
Julius
n2wn

Guy, K2AV wrote:

> Are you recommending in a CW contest that one not engage in running if
> one cannot find a space with an open kHz above and an open kHz below?
> :>)
>
> Common contest practice in recent decades is 500 kHz between signals
> regardless of folks without filters. And that seems to be squeezing
> down to 400 and narrower, which some folks derisively have called the
> K3 effect.
>
> Last weekend I spent nearly 3 hours 350 Hz below HG1-, who had bad
> clicks, and managed it with the K3's extraordinary DSP NB. He parked
> up 350 after I had been running on the frequency for nearly an hour. I
> didn't move and made many Q's on the frequency with him up there.  I'm
> sure he thought I would go away, and I probably didn't bother him at
> all because my K3's transmitted signal is devoid of key clicks.
>
> For casual operation I agree with you, but in the contests, it's just
> p**ing in the wind.
>
> 73, Guy.
>
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire <r...@cobi.biz> wrote:
>> Even with a lesser receiver, I allow plenty of frequency spacing between
>> myself and another station on CW, recognizing that the other station may
>> not
>> have superb selectivity. Around the CW QRP frequencies, I often allow a
>> full
>> kHz and several hundred Hz on other frequencies.
>>
>> When getting ready to transmit on new frequency I always open up the
>> selectivity before sending "QRL?" so I can hear if anyone nearby responds
>> who I would never hear with less selectivity. Besides, as others
>> observed,
>> other stations are often not quite on frequency and the CQing station
>> using
>> narrow selectivity may just keep heating the aether while others are
>> trying
>> to respond just outside of his bandpass.
>>
>> Ron AC7AC

-----
Julius Fazekas
N2WN