Just thinking out loud into the future....

Firewire can do a lot of things that USB and serial communications never will.

It's faster with video and disk I/O because the protocol is leaner,
and you can create networks with it.

I think that a FireWire network between a rig like the K3 and a
computer would be the perfect interface because every piece of
software can have its own dedicated connection to the radio,
something difficult to implement with a serial connection.

Firewire will also stay around because it's used as the Fly-by-wire
bus for the F-22 Raptor.

Any thoughts?

Paul N4LCD