Paul Huff-3 wrote:

> I think that I have finally saved up enough money to purchase my
> long-desired
> K2.  But there are two thoughts that cause me to hesitate:
>
> First, is the K2 "long in the tooth"?  Am I spending a significant amount
> of
> money on technology that is on it's way to being obsolete?
>
> Second,  I will only be able to purchase a basic K2 and plan on adding the
> extras to it over the next couple of years.  Will Elecraft still be
> offering
> those products for that length of time?

Glad to say, ham radio does not suffer the obsolescence of consumer
electronics. The bands are more or less the same, the modes are the same.
The K2 is a compact, lightweight, portable transceiver with low power
consumption that you can build yourself. None of that is going to change.
What might cause it eventually to become "obsolete" are things outside
Elecraft's control, like the discontinuation of key parts for which there
are no alternatives.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com