Gary, David, and All,

I did consider the location of the person who originated this thread (DL)
before posting my original response.  However, I assumed that he certainly
must have given that some thought before even considering a kit.  In any
event, as David says, it really doesn't take that long for parts to cross
the Atlantic based on most of the responses I have seen posted here by folks
in Europe.

As I understand it, Elecraft has procedures whereby they do check individual
boards before they ship them.  Am I wrong about that?  I thought I had seen
that fact stated by Elecraft personnel many times.  Assuming that's the
case, I would think that the odds of having a "fault" issue are pretty low.
Over time a few issues have arisen which required slight modifications.
Those, however, would not necessarily have been corrected on a factory built
unit before shipment until the fault had actually been identified.  So, my
further assumption is that a lot of factory built units are out there that
could "benefit" from a mod or two.  And these mods were usually improvements
rather than ones that made the difference between a working unit and a
non-working unit.  The DSP board is a good example of that.

I could only assume that the original inquirer was really asking whether it
was reasonable for him to expect to be able to self assemble a K3 with a
high expectation of success.  Most responses, including mine, indicated that
with reasonable "assembly" skills the answer should be yes.  I don't know
how to quantify a "reasonable expectation", but I'd guess somewhere in the
high 90's.

Another thing to consider is that, if a problem should arise, it's extremely
likely that Elecraft tech support can identify the issue without you having
to send the whole unit in.  You may only need to replace or change a single
part, and at worst you could just send the offending board back to them,
rather than the entire unit.  That's something Ten-Tec really "invented",
and Elecraft has adopted.  The modular construction of the K3 makes it very
much easier to swap out problem boards.  That's also another very good
reason for assembly of your own unit in the first place, since then you
presumably won't be so hesitant to make such a swap.

I think it is important to emphasize the quality of Elecraft tech support.
It doesn't come any better!  I've built all the Elecraft transceivers, and
there have been a few issues (often self inflicted) along the way.  With
rare exception, folks like Gary Surrency have been able to immediately
identify the issue, and resolution was nearly immediate.  Another fabulous
resource is Don Wilhelm, who responds typically to posted issues so fast it
makes your head swim!  With just about every other piece of equipment I own
(except, perhaps, for my one Ten-Tec transceiver), if a problem arises I am
almost certainly faced with the need to send the unit in for repair.  With
my K3, I am almost certainly NOT going to have to send it in, unless I
choose to do so.  I challenge everyone to identify a piece of gear they own
that has better technical support than their Elecraft rig.

One last point, and one that was made earlier.  I glazed  over the
differential in cost between a factory unit and a kit.  $200 was suggested,
and I didn't correct it, but it is much more than that, depending on how
many adds you make to the basic unit.  It will probably be closer to $400 or
more.  You can do a lot of corresponding and board swapping for that amount,
even from Europe!  Come to think of it, I bet the whole unit could be sent
back and forth from Europe for less than that, so why not build it yourself!
It sure sounds like a gamble worth taking, especially when the odds are so
much in your favor.

Dave W7AQK