Tony McClenny wrote:
> After months of working flawlessly, my K3 displays the "ERR KEY" message.
>

> If I turn the K3 off, remove the stereo cable that connects the K3 "Line
> Out" port to the computer "Line In" port, and restart the K3, the problem
> does not recur.

The ERR KEY message means that the CW key line is closed when you turn on the
K3. This
shouldn't have anything to do with the line out connection.

But... here is a real w/a guess:

Maybe you have your K3 configured for DTR keying, and the DTR line from the
computer is
high, and maybe the cable from the sound card to the line out jack is the only
ground
return to the computer?

See if you still have the problem if you connect the sound card to line out and
pull out
the RS232 connector.

Do you have any kind of interface to key the K3 from the computer?
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco