Rob and All,

I think most of your questions have already been very effectively addressed
by Don Wilhelm.  I would add my concurrence with all that he said based on
my use of both a K2 and K3 in situations you describe.

I have a motorhome that I use extensively during summer months, and I even
picked up a 2nd K2 specifically to keep in that RV.  It works very well in
that type of situation since it has a small footprint, and lots of
flexibility.  My K2 is the QRP version, and I also have a small THP HL50B
amp which gives me the ability to add a little punch when necessary.  I can
cover all the HF bands, and operate both CW and SSB with it, although CW is
my primary mode.

I also have a small travel trailer that I use for outings with some other
ham friends here locally.  We go out several times a year to various camping
locations, and usually my K2 is what I bring along.  I've taken the K3
several times, but I like the lower power consumption of the K2.

My favorite operating event is Field Day, which I usually participate in
running QRP.  The K2 is nearly perfect for that--a very competent radio, and
low power consumption.  I'm not a serious contester, however, but if I was I
would take the K3 instead.  The K3 isn't that much bigger, and it is very
portable.  Obviously, it is an even more competent and versatile radio, but
it can almost be overkill in many of the situations I use a radio for while
camping.  Having the luxury of chosing  between the two types is very nice,
but I wouldn't hesitate to take either one on just about any outing.

Both the K2 and K3 have very good ATU options (much better than most
internal ATU's I've had in other radios).  However, as Don points out, they
can struggle with some types of antennas like end fed half waves.  I always
take a small MFJ tuner for that reason, as I do use a wide variety of
antenna types depending on my location.  More often than not, the internal
ATU will handle things just fine, but it helps to be prepared for unusual
circumstances.

I've operated CW mobile for years, going back to when I first bought a
Ten-Tec Argonaut 505.  The K2 has seen some use in that fashion as well, and
works great.  Newer radios, like the TS-480, work better for that type of
operating though, since they have removable heads which makes it much more
convenient.  However, the K2 has a better receiver!  By the way, the TS-480
is, hands down, a better radio than the FT-897 except the 480 doesn't have
VHF/UHF.

So, the bottom line is  you wouldn't regret buying either a K2 or K3.  If
you can swing the K3, do it!  If you only have one radio, that's the one you
want.  You won't regret having a K2 in most cases, but the added features of
the K3 make it so much more fun to operate.  Either radio will work very
well in all the situations you mention.

Dave W7AQK