Over the past two months I've been enjoying weak signal low band DXing on good
antennas with my K3 using roofing filters for CW (500Hz) and SSB (2.1 KHz) . My
K3 has the latest DSP board and the firmware is up to date with the
thirty-two(?) NR choices.  What I'm finding is that the NR Firmware likes to
see a wide bandwidth from which the weakest signals can be dug out of the in
the noise on SSB or CW. If I narrow up the bandwidth with the optional filters
I can't copy the signals as well. i.e. with NR enabled together a 2.1 or 500 Hz
filter.  I hear best with NR together with the 2.7 KHz filter. Interesting!

This means that QRM must be considered as a secondary matter within the
bandpass if the NR feature is to work at its best for me. I find different NR
settings depending on band conditions and the ultimate setting varies with
incoming signals. I've been working lots of JAs on 80 meters where the NR truly
helps. The narrow CW/SSB filters are great but I don't use NR with them. Weak
signal reception comes down to using the narrow roofing filters without NR.
OR, just the 2.7 KHz wide filter with NR enabled. Yes, over and over, the 2.7
KHz bandwidth together with NR brings them out from the depths of ESP level to
readable signals.

So, why have the optional filters? I use them to get signals so I can copy them
through QRM when the band is busy.
.
Happy Holidays

73,