> The way IF SHIFT controls have worked on radios for decades
> now has been that, as you turn in one direction away from the
> center knob position, you are both narrowing the bandwidth
> *and* shifting the apparent center frequency (what the K3
> calls "FC").

It depends entirely on which brand of radio you were using
and how the manufacturer implemented IF shift and/or width.
The better radios did not have any interaction between the
two controls (like Elecraft).  Only the designs that tried
to eliminate one of the two filters or failed to make the
local oscillator and BFO track bye the same amount (in
opposite directions) had interaction between shift and width.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV