Brandon,

It all depends - if you are operating in the midst of normal strength
signals, then you can use the full 2.7 (2.8) kHz bandwidth and select
the station that you want anywhere on the waterfall display.
However, if there is a lot of QRM and/or a strong signal that is taking
over the AGC in the receiver, it is wise to narrow the bandwidth to
select only the desired signal and perhaps turn off the AGC and reduce
the RF Gain.  That takes a bit more effort than the easy Click and QSO
type operation, but if you really want the contact in the midst of QRM,
that is the way to accomplish it.  A 200 Hz roofing filter would be nice
for those particular situations.

73,
Don W3FPR