Yes - we are lucky in speaking a similar language to the US. I have imported
directly from Japan, but it is more difficult to pay.

Currently the exchange rate is very poor, back in 2008 when I ordered my K3
there were over $2 to the pound. At Dayton that year there were a lot of
Brits buying stuff. The "Dayton Specials" and the exchange rate combined
made equipment approximately half as expensive compared to the UK. I bought
loads, even with VAT it was a bargain. The exchange rate went down to $1.35
last Spring and consequently, US prices were only 10-20 percent lower than
UK ones, so I bought nothing at Dayton last year. Now we are back up to
$1.60 and prices are again favorable.

But - this has little to do with Elecraft - who refreshingly have fixed
prices for us, excellent support and can understand English. They even
allowed me to pay 100% up front for my K3 6 months before it was ready to
ship. I just wish we could set up some form of monthly bulk shipping
arrangement to the UK because all the little items are uneconomically
expensive due to shipping charges and the parcelforce extortion money.