Keith,

I wonder why you believe that "all DSPs" would "amplify harmonics." When
properly designed, a DSP behaves in a linear fashion - i.e., it does not
produce the harmonic distortion you describe. The criteria for "proper DSP
design" include limiting the bandwidth of the input signal to prevent
aliasing (the Nyquist criterion), limiting the amplitude of the signal to
avoid saturating the A/D converter and scaling the DSP operations to avoid
numerical overflows.

I agree with your assertion that harmonic distortion could produce a "noisy
sounding" receiver, but I can't think of any reason why well-designed
"radios... before DSP" necessarily had any more or less tendency to behave
in a linear fashion; being square-law devices, tube-type and MOSFET-based
amplifiers produce more even-order harmonic distortion which some judge as
less objectionable (purportedly because "mechanical" sound generators, like
musical instruments, produce even-order harmonics) than bipolar-junction
transistors.

--
73 -- Brian -- K1LI