Al,

 From the tests I have done, I discovered that the K3 has a flat
passband and very sharp filter skirts - in fact, very close to the
"ideal" filter sought by many in past years.  Other receivers tested
(K2, Yaesu FT-900, FT-817) showed that their passband was not flat, but
tapered smoothly to a lower response at higher audio frequencies.

The K3 is very much quieter out of the passband than other receivers
(the K2 is close) - the response is down at least 60 dB as opposed to
the out of passband 'garbage' in other receivers only about 30 dB down.

So my supposition is that we are not accustomed to hearing an "ideal"
filter response - we are accustomed to hearing that tapered response,
and as a result the K3 is judged to be "noisy", when in fact, it is very
quiet for out of passband response and is faithfully reproducing the
in-passband response that is actually present.  We may not like to hear
what is actually present, but in my mind, the K3 is faithful in
re-producing it without distortion - that in my mind is the definition
of a High Fidelity receiver.

73,
Don W3FPR