W9ILF writes:
>Much of it comes from the fact this reflector seems to be 95% K3 talk.

I've been thinking about this thread for awhile.  Is the K2 outdated
technology?  I would say yes almost without equivocation.

Ham radio in general is outdated.  I have a cellphone in my pocket that
has <<1 watt output and gives CONFIDENT point-to-point communication
around the world under virtually all reasonable circumstances.  The
Internet also gives much more convenient worldwide communication.  The
only advantage ham radio has in communication in the absence of
intervening infrastructure.

The construction of the K2 is also outdated technology.  The IC choices
are now increasingly difficult to find (in any form factor as the designs
themselves are getting discontinued).  SMT is now the norm in industry and
DIP is outdated.  Software defined radio rather than hardware is now
becoming the norm.

The K2 is the state of the art in ONLY an extreme niche.  Specifically it
is likely the highest performing hardware radio that is available for
construction by a hobbyist from the component level.  Given technical
advances in electronics, it is likely to remain the state of the art for
the foreseeable future.

As far as maintainability, I see no insurmountable challenges. After all,
there are Model T and Delorean clubs keeping those cars on the road.  With
the Internet available, communication with enthusiasts are easier than
with newsletters (e.g. FoxTango).  Elecraft is too small a company to
manufacture any part that is not easily reversed engineered.  Sooner or
later nearly all the DIP IC's will be not available on the market.  At
this point, since the technology used in the K2 was relatively generic, we
will figure out that the chips (say 612 or the 3150) was used in massive
quantities in a Sony Walkman or a Technics audio amplifier.  Ebay prices
on such items will be negligible and Elecraft enthusiasts can buy someone
else's junk for pennies on the dollar.

tnx.
Conway Yee, N2JWQ