Well, that all depends on what your interests are. I bought my K3 about 1 year
ago having been QRT for many years. At first I thought I would operate QRP so I
didn't initially purchase the 100W option. Later I decided that I wanted 100
Watts so I added that option. I mostly work CW or Digital Modes so I didn't
bother to buy the FM and AM filters but I did buy the 400 and 250 8 pole
filters which are simply great. If you like SSB you might want to look into the
Digital Voice Recorder. Are you into contesting? If so consider buying the
sub-receiver so that you can listen in two places at the same time! Great idea.
Are you interested in listening on the non-ham shortwave bands? Then get the
general coverage receive option. How about your antenna. Does it need a tuner
to operate effectively? Then by all means get the automatic internal ATU which
comes with a second antenna input. Do you need 2 Meters? Then consider buying
the internal 2 meter module with the
 required interface. The beauty of the K3 is that it can be made to your
specific requirements and you certainly don't have to get all the options at
once. Try them one at a time! If you are at all handy and like putting things
together then you should consider getting the kit instead of the assembled
version. I can't begin to tell you of the immense sense of accomplishment you
will experience when you flip the switch and have the K3 come alive.

73, N2SO

Charles R. Tropp