Kevin,

It is normal to see a higher response touching a random, wire to C6
compared to touching the same wire to W6.  The C6 location is a high
impedance point while the W6 and D6 locations are low impedance - the
capacitive dividers (C7,8 and C4,5) reduce the impedance.
The end of a random wire is a high impedance and matches better at C6.
If you were connecting the center conductor and ground the shield of a
properly matched feedline close to the test point, you would likely find
a better response at W6 than at C6.
That is why that testing technique is called "Cheap and Dirty" - it does
have some eccentricities that the user needs to be aware of (like this
one), but overall is a quick troubleshooting aid.

If you are getting about the same response at D6 and W6, then the
bandpass filter is probably OK.

73,
Don W3FPR