From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of W0FK
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:15 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] [K2] Amplifier suggestions?

I haven't operated an Acom, but note that it uses 4cx800's (as do a few
other companies). Those have been discontinued, and not having a future
source of tubes could be a concern. That's why Alpha switched the tube in
its 8400 from 4cx800's to a 4cx1000's (new model is an 8410).

The THP is a nice amp, but bear in mind that solid state amps are more
sensitive to SWR issues than tube amps. If you don't have good resonant
antennas, a tuner may be essential. I also found that the THP 1.5 required
100 watts plus from my K3 to drive it to full or close to full power,
whereas my PW-1 and Alpha 87A required a lot less for full output.

If I were looking for a non auto-tune tube amp, I'd seriously consider the
Alpha 8410, perhaps one that uses 3-500Z's (inexpensive and readily
available). Not sure where I'd go on an autotune tube or a solid state amp,
other than what I'm currently using.

73,

Lou

>I am thinking about a move up in power for my K2/100.  The reviews
>seem to favor an Acom 1000 or Tokyo Hi-Power.  What is the collective
>wisdom here? Thanks
>Dave  K6CGE

-----
St. Louis, MO