On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 14:57:16 -0500, Joe Subich, W4TV
wrote:

>Improve the grounding of your station,
>including direct grounds on both the K3 and computer
>to the common ground point and add common mode chokes
>to both your feedline and the "Line In" connection to
>your computer.

I agree with the advice, but I would not CALL it
"grounding" -- that implies ground rods and all that
mess. Rather, it is BONDING. It is unlikely that a
connection to EARTH is part of a solution. BONDING is
simply a very short, beefy copper connection between
the CHASSIS of all of the equipment. Most important is
between the chassis of the K3 and the chassis of the
computer.

See http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

And yes, a beefy coaxial ferrite choke as close as
practical to the feedpoint of your antennas, and
ferrite chokes on those audio interconnections. Those
chokes must be wound so that they are resonant where
you are having problems. Follow the guidelines for
coaxial chokes in my Choke Cookbook in

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

and use the measured data in Appendix One for small
wire chokes as a guide for chokes on the audio lines.

Little clip-ons will not solve problems on 80M. You
need lots of turns.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC