Jim and All,

The K3 provides the necessary bias through a menu setting.  The K2 requires
an internal adjustment for whatever type microphone you are using, and how
the 8 pin connector is wired.  I think all this is covered in the manual,
but the bottom line is that for electrets, a resistor is added on the
internal microphone wiring terminal which goes from the bias voltage supply
connector to whatever pin the microphone uses for the microphone lead.
Kenwood and Elecraft use pin 1 for the microphone lead, but some other
microphones may have it on a different pin on the 8 pin connector.  My guess
is that internally, KS4L didn't have his K2 wired to match whatever adapter
he is using.  The K2 has only one input for the microphone, and that is the
8 pin connector on the front.  So, the internal microphone terminal has to
be wired accordingly so that the microphone pin selected (and the PTT, GND,
etc.) will properly correlate to however the microphone connector (8 pin) he
is using is wired.  Presumably he has some sort of pigtail wired up to
convert from the 3.5 mm plug on the CM500 to an 8 pin connector which goes
to the K2.

So, it's not necessarily your instructions that were wrong--it's just how
was he going from the CM500 to the K2's front panel connector, and further,
how is that wired internally--at least I think that must have been the
problem.

Dave W7AQK