From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Brett Howard
Sent: 28 January 2010 06:15
To: Ken Kopp
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Radios and the TSA

I just got back from a "send an engineer to appease a loud customer by
sending an engineer" trip...  Now if you ever want a guy why looked like
he was doing something weird it was me!!!

I took two bags.  A barely qualifies for carry on sized suit case with a
single change of clothing and an Agilent MSO6104 oscilloscope in it.
Then a bag full of all my spare cables and random electronics parts and
a laptop.

About the only thing that was going for me was that I had a round trip
ticket and I was only "staying" at my final destination for about 5
hours.  Ended up being a 2.5 day period with no sleep so I'm sure I
looked a bit haggard going through security too but I was given little
resistance.  The worst thing was that someone asked if I had a computer
in the suitcase.  I said no its an oscilloscope.  I could see them
say... (a what?).  They then said we're going to have to open it up and
take a look.  I said certainly let me help you with that.  They then
backed it up and looked at it in the X-Ray again and decided they didn't
really need to look inside and they let me go on my merry way.

TSA is actually pretty darned reasonable from my experience.

~Brett (KC7OTG)