Simple two pole devices don't need much "engineering" to remove, but I would
caution against the "cut in half with sharp cutters" method as it can lead to
damaged pads.

I can't be bothered creating special tools for two pole devices, just a quick
flip with a pair of soldering irons, then use a bit of desolder braid to clean
up the pads.

What can be quite exciting is the removal of multi-pin devices and for that,
Chipquik is a wonderful friend.  It's not cheap, but then it's worth using an
inch to remove a high pin density chip.  The flux they supply is great for
cleaning off pads with cotton buds.  Chipquik is a great substitute for a hot
air desoldering station, see here, (and get your free sample!).

http://www.chipquik.com/

73 DaveL G3TJP