KM5PS wrote:

> I am a new K3 owner and need some help with the k3 interface with N1MM.  I
> have got it work with a Winkey, but would also like for N1MM to keep track
> of my band change and Freq.  I have connected it to the computer via RS323
> port to USB, but keep getting a error after a few minutes connected this
> way.  I also get an error if I only use the RS232 port for keying also.
> Looks like the best way is to use the Winkey, but still would like the
> logging program to keep track of Band and Freq.  Any help would be great.

John,

If you take CW keying out of the picture, do you have basic radio control?
If you set DTR and RTS on your radio control port both to "Always Off",
does the program reliably read the frequency and mode from the radio?

Note that some USB-to-serial adapters seem to have difficulty with low
speeds; this may seem counter-intuitive, but you may be better off using
the highest speed available (38400 bps).

If you are trying to use CW keying on the same port as radio control, with
the K3's CONFIG:PTT-KEY set to OFF-DTR, the first thing you need to know
is that N1MM Logger does not fully support this capability, even using a
true serial port. This configuration may work for you, but there are some
aspects of the Logger's CW keying that are not guaranteed to work reliably
in this configuration, such as using the ESC key to interrupt a message in
progress.

The second thing you need to know is that there is an incompatibility
between the driver for USB-to-serial adapters using the Prolific chipset
(like the KUSB) and the VB6 library used in the N1MM Logger software. This
can manifest itself in various ways, some immediately obvious (e.g. an
immediate catastrophic software crash) and some more subtle (e.g. an
insidious gradual loss of sync between the radio and the software).

Your best approach with N1MM Logger is to use two separate serial ports,
one strictly for radio control, with DTR and RTS both set to Always Off
and CONFIG:PTT-KEY set to OFF-OFF, and the second port for CW and PTT
keying. The best solution for the second port is a Winkey USB, but there
are several other possibilities.

One other caution: The K3 offers many different ways to control PTT (TX/RX
switching). You should not use two methods in parallel. In particular, do
not use a software command and hardware keying in parallel. Using both
software command and hardware keying in parallel can sometimes lead to a
"race condition" in which the radio does not switch from TX back to RX.

73,
Rich VE3KI