WILLIS COOKE-2 wrote:

> With 19 months of pretty heavy CW operation, I have not detected a single
> time when I thought a steeper skirt on my 5 pole 500 Hz filter would have
> helped, but I think you can order one from Inrad if you like.

I used the Elecraft 500 Hz 5-pole filters for ~18 months but switched to
Inrad 8-pole 500s when they became available.  I'm also probably not a good
benchmark because I do serious contesting and DX-ing on 160m (the band that
separates the men from the boys).  I do still like my 200 Hz 5-pole for
extreme (<1%) cases.  Other bands are not as critical since they don't
attempt to pack hundreds of S9+30 signals into 50 kHz and DX signals are
stronger.

I can see the day coming when 200 Hz may become the new norm for CW contests
as more people use clean rigs like the K3 and zero beat more closely (due to
spectrum displays or internal zero beat indicators like the K3's CWT).

73,  Bill