John and Rick et. al,

 Rick sez," When I finally had the epiphany that the run station was
listening on the last worked stations freq even if off a few hundred Hz
my rate went way up.

Probably the run stations that were most affected by this were K3
operators since if they had it cranked down to minimum they never heard
me when I was on their freq.   Darn K3!"

I operated as CW7T in ARRL CW contest and frequently did the
'mini-split'....VFO B became xmit and VFO A was my "rit". It was easy to
pick off the 'big guns' and guys with kw/beams. The rub is when the
pileup gets down to the 100w/dipole/vertical of which the majority of
contesters depend on these guys to have a good score. One problem is the
packet spot....everyone that clicks on the spot goes to the same
frequency and it becomes almost impossible to get the call signs when
the pitch are nearly identical. I found that by varying my 'rit' from
-130 to +200hz around my xmit freq, it was easy to pick off the call
signs.....amazing how many guys got it vs didnt...the clue is how long
is it taking the run station to answer a call...is he snapping off one
callers or getting partial calls/calling QRZ more than once? The key is
'be different' in the pileup...As Rick and John say, open up the BW and
see where the guy is that I just worked, then zero beat him....As for
me, I ran the BW down to 200 or 250hz while doing my mini split....I
worked many guys who were S3 abv and below the run freq while the zero
beat guys to my xmit freq were S9 plus.
And yes, a number of the K3 guys got in my log using this technique (I
recognize a number of the calls from this forum, HI)

Look for all u guys in CW WPX in May...
73
Tom