I normally have always a cable from the rear line out directly to my laptop
line in audio card since the first day the K3 arrived in Nov 09,then I run
everytime I turn it on the Spectralab audio analyzer software and at the
begining my non modified DSP board made the radio respond from only 180 Hz to
about 3500 Hz + - 6db,then when I called Elecraft asking what to do to open
that narrow BW they sugested to send me a new modified DSP board with the W9AC
hardware changes to swap for my original board,I accepted the proposal and they
sent me the new board.With the help of my friend Julio AD4Z who put together
his K3 (mine arrived already assembled) we installed the new DSP board and
inmediately we noticed the audio difference,the audio response was then from 80
to 4000Hz and later with all the firmware updates they had done it opened more
and more and with the actual version 3.76 my audio response is from 50 to
4000Hz + - 6db which for me is plenty audio
 bandwith for RX and TX.
Using the TX EQ properly set my maximun transmit audio bandwith goes from 60 to
3800Hz which I never run that wide,normally I have it set from 100Hz to 3000Hz
when using the Yamaha CM-500.
I suggest to Oliver to see the line out audio response before and after the
board swap and I am sure you will see a big difference specially at the roll
off freq.Let us know what you see..
My two cents to the topic.

"For a refined ham it is compulsory to own a k3"