Steve,

I agree that both RS-232 and 802.1 (Ethernet) are standard
communications protocols and can be viable.
BUT
How many of the ham applications today operate over an Ethernet connection?
Do you want to give up your favorite logger or radio control application
because the author has coded for serial port communications?
When I see those applications providing communications over Ethernet,
then I say it would be a better solution, but it is not today's reality.
Yes, we could use a serial to Ethernet adapter, but isn't that just as
bad as a USB to Serial adapter.  The Serial to Ethernet adapter approach
is not going to allow the full benefit of an Ethernet implementation
which is having the K3 on a network connection and available anywhere
TCP/IP can address it.

When a number of Ham Radio applications begin to support Ethernet
communications (Ham Radio Deluxe does have capability for remote
control, but needs another copy running at the remote site to convert
that to serial), then I will concede that Ethernet is a good solution.
In the meantime, we are using serial port communications, and it does
work very well as long as the computer has a good serial port - USB
adapters sometimes provide good serial ports, but others do not.  As far
as I am concerned, USB support and Firewire support are fraught with
limitations because they require driver support for each device in the
computer.  RS-232 and Ethernet require only driver support in the
computer for the communications port itself and not every device that
hangs off that port.  The application being run provides the data stream
that is directed through that port.

73,
Don W3FPR